So I’m gonna start by saying this is not an average grilled cheese. It’s a little high maintenance (it took me about 50 minutes to make one sandwich). But it is worth it.
I’m calling this the pre-diet grilled cheese. Similar to when someone says “I’m going on a diet soon, so I’m going to eat all my favorite foods now and then I’ll eat healthy later.”
This was/is actually what I tried to do. With this sandwich.
It kinda worked? To me dieting is all about eating less and working out. Oh and cooking healthier. And healthy to me just means more veggies and protein with less pasta and pasta and pasta. (OR veggie pasta instead).
So I dare you. Make this sandwich and then swear to live the healthiest life ever. Or if you already eat right and work out, make it anyway. ORRR no matter what you eat or do, Just Treat You Self.
Broken Yolk Grilled Cheese with Kale
Recipe from HowSweetEats
– A lot of Kale, probable one bunch
– 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
– 3 tablespoons greek yogurt (original recipe calls for mayonnaise, but I’ve never really liked it, greek yogurt is a great substitute)
– 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
– 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
– 4 slices of bread (I used whole wheat)
– 6 oz of havarti cheese, grated
– 2 large eggs (if eating immediately. I made one the night I ate this and then just ate the other grilled cheese without the egg for lunch the next day)
1. Roast your kale. This is done by heating the oven to 350 degrees, putting kale on a baking sheet, drizzling olive oil on top, with some salt, pepper and crushed read pepper flakes. Roast for 10 minutes, stir and then roast for another ten. I have pictures of the process in this post.
2. Mix the greek yogurt, mustard and smoke paprika.
3. Grate your cheese.
3. Spread butter on the top of your bread slices and then throw into the pan.
4. Then put the sauce mixture on the side facing up.
5. Top with the cheese. Put the lid on to help melt the cheese.
6. In another skillet, cook your fried eggs.
7. Time to Assemble! Put the kale on top of the melted cheese and then top with the other melted cheese piece. Put the egg on top. EAT IT.
Or cut it in half like I did. Then eat it.
This is a treat. Best pre-diet meal ever.